Gut health is trendy right now, and for good reason. The microbes inside our tummy are so important for our health, they help us break down our food, create vitamins (e.g. B vits and Vit K) and interact with our immune system, hormones and metabolism.
There is more being uncovered every day about our symbiotic relationship with the bugs. If we eat food that doesn’t make these bugs happy we get digestive complaints, but you may also lots of secondary symptoms that may not seem related to what we eat, but stem from your gut health.
If you want to look after your gut health here are 5 things you can do:
- eat fibre, lots of vegetables, whole grains, and fruit
- include probiotics (fermented foods or supplements) to replenish the good bacteria
- include prebiotics in your diet (artichoke, green bananas, onions, garlic leeks) because these feed the good bacteria
- avoid processed food (from a packet) and any known foods that irritate the gut
- reduce alcohol intake (can be abrasive to the gut lining)
To get specific advice about how you can support your gut health please get in touch to book your free 15 minute appointment. See how nutritional therapy can help you feel well nourished and rebalanced again! Contact me for a free 15 minute appointment to see how we can work together.