Do you know how to improve your gut microbiome?
Why is gut health important?
If the collection of microbes inside our gut (called a microbiome) doesn’t function properly, then nothing else in our body works well. The thyroid, hormones, immune system are all linked to gut health so it’s important to support the right kind of microbes to thrive. You can influence your microbiome, and support your health by ensuring what you eat gives you the right building blocks for a healthy body, and healthy microbiome.
What role do genes play in health?
The genes we are born with play a small part of our health destiny. The health of our gut has been shown to have more control over our risk of obesity, insulin resistance, cholesterol, and mood. In one recent study the genetics were found to have a 2% influence over the microbial environment.
Our microbes can be changed, and over time we can grow a healthy population of bugs that work with us, not against us. We want the bugs on our side, working for us, and with us!
How to improve your gut microbiome
- Reduce food allergens – this is individual, and not one size fits all. Common allergens are gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts but these may not be a trigger for you.
- Remove irritants to the gut – e.g. lots of alcohol, sugar, caffeine, processed foods. Remove ultra processed foods as these are poor in nutrient value.
- Eat whole foods – fresh vegetables, fruit, vegetable sources of fats and proteins.
- Feed the bugs with fibre – lots of pulses, whole grains, vegetables and fruit
- Increase your stomach acid – the first gateway to the digestion is our gastric juices, we need it to help break down proteins and keep out the bad bugs. Without stomach acid food can pass through into the intestines partially digested and ferment causing bloating and excess gas.
If you want to start your move to better gut health get in touch to book your initial appointment with me.
- Exercise – people who exercise have a healthy population of bugs in their gut, which support anti-inflammatory actions.
Do you want better digestion & more energy? Are you looking for solutions for weight loss, IBS or lack of energy?
Hi I'm Anna Mapson, registered Nutritionist (mBANT, CNHC). I help small business owners improve their diet so they have more energy to be creative at work and home, to socialise and be there for family.