SIBO, reflux & bloating resolved through diet
“I know now how to eat to avoid acid reflux”
This client (mid 60s) came to me with:
- Acid regurgitation (reflux) and hiatus hernia. The acid was eroding his back teeth at night despite taking Omeprazole (PPI).
- Recurrent digestive issues such as bloating, erratic bowel movements
- Previous gut infections from living abroad
He had a physical job, but was struggling to lose weight and was eating all evening.
By the end of two months working together the client had:
- Reduced his acid reflux medication by half and was planning to try coming off it completely
- Lost half a stone in weight and his trousers were falling down
- No more bloating
- Better sleep, waking feeling refreshed
- Healthy mindful approach to eating, meal planning and understanding what food does to the body.
IBS Treatment Plan
I arranged a stool test for him which showed
- Low levels of healthy (commensal) bacteria
- Low levels of secretory IgA (which supports a healthy mucus lining in the gut
- High levels of bacteria associated with SIBO, and crowd out healthier bacteria
To support digestion we worked on:
- Addressing meal timing, allowing time for digestion before bed
- Addressing gut bacteria dysbiosis with supplements, herbs and foods
- Ensuring a broad and balanced diet
Reducing reflux medication is possible.
This client was really up for radical change of diet and prepared to do anything, but sometimes a slower approach is more effective for long term success.
Work with me - IBS Nutritionist
Book a free call to talk about your IBS Gut Reset