Smoothies are a great way to get some good nutrients into your day, and they can taste delicious too. To keep a balanced diet my tips for smoothies are:
- 50% green vegetables (kale and spinach are easy to incorporate)
- some fruit – try different colours
- top with water or a dairy free milk – play around with quantities, some taste better thick, and some are better with more liquid.
If you’re having a smoothie at breakfast time or as a meal replacement you need to include protein in the form of nuts, seeds and protein powder, as well as some fats like coconut oil.
Vary what you put in to get a wide mix of colours and tastes – this will give you the variety of minerals and vitamins we need.
Try these recipe ideas:
- Beetroot, celery, ginger, apple and water
- Spinach, parsley, coriander, half a lemon with rind removed, water
- Banana, cashew nuts, avocado, cacao powder, hemp powder, almond milk
- Kale, pear, avocado, lime, water
- Black cherry, banana, cashew nuts, kiwi and matcha powder (pictured). almond milk
- Banana, spinach, maca powder, pecans or almonds, coconut milk